This paper includes analysis, synthesis and propositions for the improvement of the current situation related to natural disaster issues in the education process in Serbia. The authors focus on curricula in geography as well as policy documents such as laws and regulations referring to education and disasters. The paper also presents the only formal training for teachers on natural disasters which aims to motivate them to include disaster risk reduction issues into their teaching.
This process was initiated by the authors in the context of the Hyogo Framework for Action. The overall actions undertaken include the following:
- a working group was established to prepare a teachers’ professional training program;
- a survey among schoolchildren was performed, as well as the analysis of geography curricula;
- education material (particularly geography textbooks) was thoroughly analysed;
- training for teachers has been provided;
- the dialogue among researchers and policymakers has led to the formal initiative for curricula adaptation, which will probably be formally enacted in two years time.
This document is an input paper of the 2015 Global Assessment Report on Disaster Risk Reduction.