Consultant: Outreach, communication and strengthened information management
This job posting has closed
Reference number: ISDR/C/07/2014
United Nations Core Values: Integrity ● Professionalism ● Respect for diversity
Created in December 1999, the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction and secretariat of the International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (UNISDR) is the designated focal point in the United Nations system for the coordination of disaster reduction and to ensure synergies among the disaster reduction activities of the United Nations and regional organizations and activities in socioeconomic and humanitarian fields. Led by the United Nations Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction, UNISDR has around 100 staff located in its HQ in Geneva, Switzerland, and 5 regional offices and other field presences. Specifically, UNISDR coordinates international efforts in disaster risk reduction, and guides, monitors and reports on the progress of the implementation of the Hyogo Framework for Action; campaigns to create global awareness of disaster risk reduction benefits and empower people to reduce their vulnerability to hazards; advocates for greater investments in disaster risk reduction to protect people's lives and assets, and for increased and informed participation of men and women in reducing disaster risk; and informs and connects people by providing practical services and tools such as Prevention Web, publications on good practices, and by leading the preparation of the Global Assessment Report on Disaster Risk Reduction and the organization of the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction.
The position is located in the secretariat of the United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (UNISDR), Regional Office for the Arab States, which is located in Cairo, Egypt and covers the Arab region.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships:
The Consultant will work under the direct supervision and report to the Head of the Regional Office for Arab States, or the Senior Regional Programme officer, and will work in collaboration with the rest of Programme Officers as well as the UNISDR Communications Unit and Information Management Unit.
Duties and Responsibilities:
As a member of the Regional Team, the Consultant will support outreach, communication and strengthened information management on risk reduction in the Arab States region. Under the direct supervision of the Head of Regional Office, or the Senior Regional Programme Officer, the Consultant will undertake the following tasks:
- Develop information products, publications and awareness raising material on risk reduction tailored for the region, in consultation with partner agencies and stakeholders.
- Facilitate the collection, documentation and dissemination of good practices from the region in coordination with partner organizations and national focal points for the implementation of Hyogo Framework for Action.
- Manage the daily regional updates of the Prevention Web and UNISDR regional websites through the control management system (CMS) to ensure the timely provision of relevant and reliable national and regional information on disaster risk reduction activities
- Develop the UNISDR regional newsletter as well as contribute to other UN newsletters and communication tools.
- Assist in program development, including providing assistance in the development of knowledge management and advocacy promotional materials and any related training of local partners. · Assist in the promotion of UNISDR supported networks and platforms by maintaining updated contact directories and listings in database and related websites.
- Monitor and analyze developments in disaster risk reduction activities for the region.
- Highlight information critical to decision makers in disaster risk reduction by drafting captions, summaries and composites of disaster risk reduction sources.
- In events, including global platforms, regional platforms, and International Disaster Risk Reduction Day, help with coordination, media, and oversee distribution of printed materials, and assist with logistics.
- Responsible for the Regional Office’s publications (printing, translations and regional dissemination).
Professionalism: Strong background, knowledge and understanding of the concepts, principles and approaches to disaster risk reduction; proven project management skills and ability to lead a project to completion.
Client Orientation: Ability to identify and analyze clients’ needs and develop appropriate services to meet business requirements.
Communication: Strong communication (spoken and written) skill. Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required
Teamwork: Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations with people in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment
Education: Advanced University degree in Journalism, Communications or related field. A first level university degree with a combination of relevant academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- 5 years of progressive work experience in areas of Communication and Development.
- Knowledge and professional experience and training in the field of disaster risk reduction climate change, and/or sustainable development is an asset.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills
- International working experience.
- Previous experience in the region is a plus
- Knowledge of Arabic is a plus
- UN Experience is a plus
- Experience and management in multicultural contexts
- Ability to work in highly stressful contexts and under tight deadlines
- Computer literate. Ability to use and learn specialize programs/software
Language: Excellent English speaking and writing skills. Working knowledge of another official UN Languages is a plus.