Website Officer, P3
This job posting has closed
Org. Setting and Reporting
Created in December 1999, the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) is the designated focal point in the United Nations system for the coordination of efforts to reduce disasters and to ensure synergies among the disaster reduction activities of the United Nations and regional organizations and activities in both developed and less developed countries. Led by the United Nations Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction (SRSG), UNDRR has over 100 staff located in its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, and in regional offices. Specifically, UNDRR guides, monitors, analyses and reports on progress in the implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030, supports regional and national implementation of the Framework and catalyses action and increases global awareness to reduce disaster risk working with U.N. Member States and a broad range of partners and stakeholders, including civil society, the private sector, parliamentarians and the science and technology community.
This position is located in the UNDRR office in Bonn. The Incumbent reports to the Public Information Officer, leading the Contents and Channels Unit in the Communication, Advocacy, Knowledge Management and ICT Section.
The incumbent will carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
Website development and maintenance
- Coordinates the ongoing maintenance of UNDRR websites. Develops and maintains a website content strategy and calendar, liaising with all relevant UNDRR staff (in HQ and regional offices) to ensure high quality, consistent content to drive growth and relevance of UNDRR sites. Creates new pages sourcing stories, assets (document photos, films, etc.) and data from UNDRR branches and sections and other UN Agencies.
- Coordinates the development of new sites, products and features on the UNDRR web platform in close collaboration with UNDRR client offices, the design and technology team, and external contractors.
- Monitors web analytics, produces regular reports and recommends improvement of features, services, tools, design and usability.
- Coordinates ongoing improvements and development of the Drupal content management system.
- Contributes to UNDRR’s communication strategy, planning future web-based communication initiatives.
- Keeps abreast of developments in digital communications and makes recommendations on web tools/software/technologies and services to enhance UNDDR’s digital presence.
Content management coordination
- Develops, maintains and implements editorial guidelines and content management SOPs to ensure compliance with UNDRR corporate website/brand image, web accessibility guidelines and UN OICT standards, guidelines and procedures.
- Provides training and support to editors in UNDRR offices on the use of the content management system, editorial guidelines and best practices in web communications, including web accessibility, search engine optimization, image selection and editing. Manages user access and permissions.
- Provides training and support to UNDRR staff in HQ and regional offices on the use of tools for digital communications. Develops and maintains user guides and training material.
- Provides first-level support for web editors and coordinates the resolution of issues with the technical team and/or external vendor(s) where necessary.
- Performs regular quality control to ensure compliance with editorial guidelines and SOPs.
May perform other duties as required.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of communication campaign development, communication strategy planning and oversight and editorial content management. Ability to manage communication-related vendors, develop and maintain communication-related budgets. Knowledge of client relationship software (Mailchimp etc). Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
TECHNOLOGICAL AWARENES: Keeps abreast of available technology. Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office. Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks. Shows willingness to learn new technology.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in communication, journalism, international relations, public administration or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in public information, communication, website management, journalism, or related area is required.
- Experience in managing institutional websites is required.
- Experience with Drupal, graphic editing and web analytics is required.
- Experience with CSS and HTML languages is desirable.
- Experience in web accessibility is desirable.
- Experience working in international organizations such as the United Nations is desirable.
English and French are the two working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is also desirable.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which will be followed by competency-based interview.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.