- Documents and publications
UNDRR Asia-Pacific COVID-19 brief: Disaster-responsive social protection
This brief explores how countries in the region are leveraging social protection systems in relation to the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, highlighting the challenges and successes to date. The brief also draws attention to lessons from the region, including how to ensure social protection systems are in place before a shock occurs. It also explores financing options to expand social protection coverage, especially to help reduce disaster-related vulnerability.
The brief recommends the following policy guidance (p. 5-8):
- Invest in social protection before a disaster;
- Promote universal social protection;
- Integrate universal health coverage and social protection;
- Adopt a human rights-based approach to social protection;
- Strengthen digitization to enhance inclusion;
- Adopt intersectional approaches to reduce vulnerabilities and reduce exclusions;
- Adopt flexible assistance delivery modalities.
The brief reflects interventions and feedback from the UNDRR Asia-Pacific webinar on 28 May 2020, titled ‘Disaster-Responsive Social Protection: Lessons from COVID-19.’
Is this page useful?Yes No Report an issue on this page
Thank you. If you have 2 minutes, we would benefit from additional feedback (link opens in a new window).