- Australia: Disaster planning and recovery for Tasmanian businesses ‐ delivery of materials and training
Australia: Disaster planning and recovery for Tasmanian businesses ‐ delivery of materials and training
AECOM (provider of services for infrastructure projects) was engaged by the Tasmanian Department of Premier and Cabinet Climate Change Office (TCCO) to develop a suite of online and printable resources to help Tasmanian businesses across a range of sectors develop practical and implementable strategies to prepare their business for disasters. The resources, when combined, can form a comprehensive emergency management plan for the business, and can be used as individual resources, depending on the business needs.
The case study highlighted the following lessons learned:
- Business need proactive guidance and support to navigate and complete the templates; primary producers in particular.
- Cooperation between government and the private sector is required to support businesses to use the materials.
- Within the private sector, industry groups and peak bodies are central to support resilience planning, including opportunities to work with the private sector to promote the materials.
- The importance of 'community-led' response during disasters was critical to recovery.
This case study is one of a series produced by members of ARISE, the UNISDR Private Sector Alliance for Disaster Resilient Societies.