Deepening synergies between the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework, the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction, the 2030 Agenda, the Paris Agreement and risk-informed sustainable and regenerative development
Palais des Congrès, Room 512E.
18:15 to 19:45 EST
Since the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction was adopted in 2015, our understanding of systemic risk has changed. As socio-ecological and technological systems become ever more interconnected and interdependent, disasters, economic loss, poverty and inequality are increasing just as ecosystems and biospheres are at risk of collapse.
Therefore, as Member States now turn their attention to the implementation of a truly effective post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework (GBF), this is a critical moment to elevate the importance of:
- The role of biodiversity and nature-based solutions for reducing risk, including climate risks.
- The urgency of strengthening risk-informed, systems-based approaches to biodiversity conservation.
- Exploring opportunities for deepening mutually reinforcing synergies between the Post-2020 GBF and disaster risk reduction at the international and national levels.
- Strengthening collective partnerships between the conservation, DRR and climate communities.
- Scaling-up transformative change across all sectors of the economy, the financial system and all parts of society, through stronger policy coherence and synergies between interconnected intergovernmental processes at all scales.
This side event will transmit input to the Review of the Sendai Framework, which culminates in a high-level meeting at the UN General Assembly in May 2023 and will thus feed into the 2023 global stock-takes of the SDGs, the Water Action Decade and the Paris Agreement, inform the follow-up to the post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework, the implementation of the UNCCD, and inform the SDGs Summit and Secretary-General’s Summit of the Future.
- Marco Lambertini, Director General, WWF International
- Melina Sakiyama, co-founder, Global Youth Biodiversity Network (GYBN)
- Sacha Alexander, Policy Officer, UNCCD Secretariat