- Documents and publications
Recommendations for disaster loss data in support of early warning and early action in African countries
This document comprises recommendations based on research and consultations with disaster risk reduction (DRR) and anticipatory action stakeholders in Malawi, UR Tanzania, Mozambique, Zambia and the SADC regional authority. Implementation of the recommendations can improve the maturity and the functioning of data ecosystems allowing for enhanced application of loss data for anticipatory action and beyond.
The recommendations include:
- Increase the quality of the primary disaster loss data collection;
- Encourage well-defined information management processes around disaster loss data and prioritize the operationalization of policies;
- Dedicated funding for data ecosystem governance;
- Improving parthernships;
- Increase the capacity of national officers and experts to analyze and use loss data.