Fifth Arab Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction: Call for Events: Public Forum Thematic Events
Following the success of the last regional platform, i.e. Africa-Arab Regional Platform on Disaster Risk Reduction organized in Tunis in October 2018, and building on the outcomes of the 6th session of the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction in 2019, the 5th Arab Regional Platform for DRR will be hosted by the Government of the Kingdom of Morocco and co-organized by the UNDRR Regional Office for Arab States (UNDRR -ROAS) and the League of Arab States virtually from 8 to 11 November 2021, to build on the momentum in the political and technical dialogue towards disaster risk reduction in the region.
Interested governments, Inter-Governmental Organisations, United Nations, media, and stakeholders are invited to express their interest in organizing events during the 5th Arab Regional Platform for DRR.
The overarching theme of the 5th Arab Regional Platform for DRR will be ‘From Risk to Resilience: Accelerating Local Action for DRR’.
During the 6th Arab Partnership Meeting for DRR held virtually on 30 June and 1 July 2021 with the sole aim to prepare for the 5th Arab Regional Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction, the representatives of the Arab governments, regional DRR stakeholders and regional UN and international organizations deliberated on the priority themes to be addressed at the Platform under each of the four priorities of Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction. The participants concluded the below recommended thematic focus areas for the 5th Arab Regional Platform for DRR in November 2021:
The thematic focus areas are:
- Health and disaster risk reduction in the post-COVID-19 context.
- Financing disaster risk reduction and enhancing resilience to climate change.
- Investing in Infrastructure and Urban Resilience.
- Scaling up disaster risk reduction in humanitarian and conflict contexts.
- Investing in science and technology to reduce disaster risks.
- Artificial intelligence in risk information and assessments.
- Understanding disaster risk: Disaster Classification, Risk Mapping, and assessments.
- Gender in Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Coherence of national and local policies and strategies for DRR with post-2019 global frameworks.
- Strengthening multi-hazard early warning early actions for Building Back Better in the recovery phase.
- Civil Society Engagement in Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Regional, National, and Local Governance for Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Eco-based disaster risk reduction and Nature-Based Solutions.
- From Analysis to Implementation.
- Strengthening the role of Media in Advocacy on Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Establishment of National and local Youth Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Inclusion (disability) in Disaster Risk Reduction.
UNDRR is pleased to invite interested Governments, Inter-Governmental Organizations, United Nations, media, and stakeholders are invited to express their interest in organizing events and special sessions during the Fifth Arab Regional Platform for DRR.
Organizations interested in organizing sessions at the Regional Platform are kindly requested to fill the attached form and submit it via email to Ms. Mirna Abu Ata (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Ms. Rania Hammad (email@example.com) with the subject ‘EVENT APPLICATION – 5th Arab Regional Platform for DRR’ by 15 August 2021.