Youth Engagement in Disaster Risk Reduction and COVID-19 Webinar
UNDRR ROAS aims to cultivate the next generation of leaders, and to ensure they are looped into decision-making conversations about their future by educating and equipping them with skills and knowledge related to Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and enabling them to realize their role as agents of change, they will be able to make meaningful and effective contributions to the four priority areas of the Sendai Framework.
We will be discussing youth leadership and their response to (COVID – 19). The Webinar will be a moderated panel discussion with 5 panelists from UNDRR ROAS, the Children and Youth Stakeholder Group for DRR in addition to youth stories and experience in DRR and during COVID 19 in particular.
- Develop youth capacity, knowledge, and skills related to understanding Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), community resilience and preparedness for meaningful action and the opportunity to engage within the Arab Youth Stakeholder Group for DRR
- Provide an understanding about the four key principles to guide DRR action, child and youth rights, gender equality, a lifecycle approach and inclusion – as well as children and youth perspectives on DRR priorities in their own words
- Build on the youth knowledge to bring their creativity, innovative engagement and share case studies and child- and youth-friendly resources and stories related to (COVID 19)
- Achieve inclusive DRR as called for in the Sendai Framework, which requires a meaningful commitment to leave no child or youth behind no matter where they live, who they are and the influences on their lives
- Introduce the youth to the United Nations Major Group on Children and Youth (UN MGCY) DRR working group and their activities
The webinar targets members of the Children & Youth Stakeholder Group for DRR (UN MGCY, (You Think Green) & (Generation for Peace), and the Africa Youth Advisory Board on DRR in addition to other stakeholders’ youth networks.
- Introduction to DRR & Sendai Framework – UNDRR
- Role of youth in advancing the DRR Agenda, based on the Voluntary Action Statement, including linkages to the work of the other Arab Groups for DRR - (UN MGCY)
- COVID-19: A Global Biological Hazard. Stories of young people leading the COVID-19 response in their communities - Generation for Peace (GFP) and Development for People and Nature Association (DPNA)
- Introduction to “Words into Action” Steps forward (Q/A) - UNDRR and UN MGCY
- DR. Mohanned Al- Arabiat Board Member and President of GFP
- Ms. Mirna Abu Ata, Programme Management Officer – UNDRR ROAS
- Fadlallah Hassouna, Executive Director – DPNA
- Reda Shmait and Marwa Elmenshawy - (UN MGCY)
This webinar will last 60 minutes and will start at 14:00 Thursday 23 April (Cairo Time) and we will be discussing youth leadership and their response to (COVID – 19).
Below the webinar Zoom link to attend:
Disclaimer: For the purpose of this event, UNDRR procures the services of Zoom Video Communications, Inc., an external service provider. Registration for this webinar is supported by the Zoom registration mechanism and does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of the United Nations concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its authorities.