Financing for Resilience
Date and Time
10 - 12 November 2020
7-8:30 AM New York City, Panama | 12-1:30 PM London | 1-2:30 PM Geneva | 2-3:30 PM Cairo, Cape Town | 9-10:30 PM Incheon
Background and Introduction
The Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030 and the Sustainable Development Goals have called for local governments to put in place disaster risk reduction (DRR) strategies by 2020 to ensure a concrete pathway to achieve disaster resilience and sustainable development. While many local governments are able to develop the DRR/resilience strategies, to implement DRR initiatives most local governments require substantial financial, technical and human resource allocations.
The Making Cities Resilient Report 2019 , however, shows that the capacity to finance for disaster resilience is one of the lowest areas of progress for local governments. It is evident that local governments have limited capacity to access finance for disaster resilience.
To this end, the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) Global Education and Training Institute (GETI) and the secretariat of the Making Cities Resilient Campaign, is organizing an online course (webinar series) “Financing for Local Resilience”. The course aims to:
- To create awareness of local governments on some options for DRR/resilience financing.
- To share examples/good practices from cities and relevant tools/guidance from partners on accessing finance for disaster resilience
- To strengthen regional and global network of cities and peer-to-peer learning
- Local government officials have increased knowledge and skills on financing for resilience and risk reduction
- Options for local disaster resilience financing and good practices from cities shared
- Learn about innovative mechanisms to secure resilience financing to support sustainable and inclusive smart cities
English, with simultaneous interpretation in Spanish and Arabic.
- United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) Global Education and Training Institute (GETI)
- UN Capital Development Fund (UNCDF)
- Global Infrastructure Basel Foundation
- Resilient Cities Network
- Global Policy House
For more information:
UNDRR Global Education and Training Institute (GETI) at firstname.lastname@example.org