Coastal alert - Tackling tsunami risks together: Partnerships and solutions for a safe ocean resilient to tsunamis
Lisbon, UN Ocean Conference, Side Event Room 2, Blue Zone
Taking place on 27 June, 17:30-18:45 PM (Lisbon Time), this side event at the UN Ocean Conference in Lisbon will showcase leading efforts on reducing tsunami risk as a key contribution to UN Ocean Decade and scaling up action on ocean science and innovation. The event is organized by UNDRR and UNESCO IOC.
Tsunamis are rare events but can be extremely deadly. In the past 100 years, 58 of them have claimed more than 260,000 lives, or an average of 4,600 per disaster, surpassing any other natural hazard.
Across 2022, the World Tsunami Awareness Day communications campaign, which cumulates on 5 November each year and is organised by UNDRR, will focus on the importance of investing in early warning systems. At the same time, the UNESCO/IOC Tsunami Ready Programme is supporting the preparedness of coastal communities against tsunamis risk. The side event will include feature perspectives and announcements by cities and Member States on their progress to being Tsunami Ready by 2030. There will be particular focus on science, innovation and partnerships, showcasing the solutions, including on early warning systems, which are saving lives.
17:30-18:45 PM (Lisbon Time)
Please note, this event is open to all registered delegates to the 2022 UN Ocean Conference. A conference badge is needed to enter the blue zone side event room 2 to attend.
- Ms Mami Mizutori, Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction. United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR)
- Ms Audrey Azoulay, Director-General of UNESCO
- Ms Patricia Gaspar, Secretary of State, Ministry of Interior, Portugal
- Mr. Miyake Shingo, Parliamentary Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan
- Dr Rick Spinrad, Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and Under Secretary of Commerce for Oceans and Atmosphere, USA
- Mr. Arlindo Dgege, Provincial Director of Territorial Development and Environment, Provincial Government of Cabo Delgado, Mozambique
- Ms. Esline Garaebiti, Director General, Ministry of Climate Change, Vanuatu
- Mr. David Lisnard, Mayor Cannes, France
- Mr. Vladimir Ryabinin, Assistant Director General, UNESCO IOC
Please write to email@example.com.
Is this page useful?Yes No Report an issue on this page
Thank you. If you have 2 minutes, we would benefit from additional feedback (link opens in a new window).