ARISE Network Japan: How businesses meet the challenge of extreme weather events
ARISE Network Japan is hosting a public symposium on the theme: How businesses meet the challenge of extreme weather events. The private sector's role in disaster resilience will be discussed. This symposium is open to the private sector and other stakeholders.
Date and Time: 10 March 2017, 14:30-18:30
Registration opens 14:00 and the event will be followed by a reception at 18:30.
This is a free event, however, registration is required. Please follow the link here.
14:30 Welcome remarks by organizer - ARISE Board member (focal point Japan and Asia), Sandra Wu
14:35 Welcome remarks by co-organizer - Head of UNISDR Office in Japan, Yuki Matsuoka
Part 1: Latest developments by government
14:50 Preparedness for a direct-hit Tokyo Earthquake event - Cabinet Office, Japan
15:10 Latest developments in Climate Change Adaptation - Ministry of Environment, Japan
15:30 Adapting to flood events under Climate Change - Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, Japan
Part 2: Private sector action - ARISE member best practices
This section will be chaired by Shigeki Honda InterRisk Research Institute & Consulting Inc. with commentators Setsuko Saya, Director Cabinet Office and Satoru Nishikawa, Executive Director of Research Japan Center for Area Development Research. The following best practices will be presented;
- Creating sustainable communities with Groundwater Membrane Filtration System - Wellthy Corporation
- New business strategy focused on Climate Change Adaptation - Kokusai Kogyo Co, Ltd.
- Role of evacuation simulations in weather-related disasters - Kozo Keikaku Engineering Inc.
- Modeling flood risks of Arakawa River valley under future climate - The Tokio Marine Research Institute, a subsidiary of Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance Co., Ltd.
- Developing tools for the building of disaster resilient communities - Japan Conservation Engineers & Co., Ltd.
- Community and tourism industry efforts towards a disaster-resilient destination - JTB Tourism Research & Consulting Co
- Research on risk information use within organizations - PwC Aarata
18:20 Summary and closing remarks - ARISE Board members Sandra Wu and Masato Takamatsu
18:30 Reception (-19:30)