2nd Central Asia and South Caucasus (CASC) Sub-regional Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction
The CASC sub-regional platform provides an integrated platform to address sustainable development and build resilience. It also provides an opportunity to address issues through cross-border leadership and solutions that can benefit the people and the countries of the region. The 2nd CASC sub-regional Platform will serve as instruments to:
- Forge partnerships;
- Periodically assess progress on implementation,
- Share practice and knowledge on risk-informed policies, programmes and investments, including on development and climate issues;
- Promote the integration of disaster risk management in other relevant sectors;
- Contribute to the integrated and coordinated follow-up processes to United Nations conferences and summits.
Theme and outcome
This year’s platform to be held in Yerevan will build on the 2016 Dushanbe Declaration, the 2017 Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction held in Mexico and EU action in the region. It aims at addressing key issues that can accelerate in the implementation of the Sendai Framework in coherence with the SDGs and Paris Agreement taking into account the theme of the 2018 European Forum for Disaster Risk Reduction taking place in Italy and 2019 Global Platform.
While taking stock of the 2016 Central Asia and South Caucasus Roadmap for implementation of the Sendai Framework, this year’s sub-regional platform will address some of the below topics amongst others:
- Promoting sustainable and resilient development in the region;
- From monitoring progress to implementing strategies;
- Promoting effective public private partnerships towards risk sensitive investment;
- Understanding risks and accounting for losses – the economy of disasters;
- Land-use and urban planning for risk informed decisions;
- Leaving no-one behind: An all of society approach to build resilience.
Outcomes of the 2nd CASC sub-regional platform will be reported back to the European Forum for Disaster Risk Reduction (EFDRR).